Wednesday, November 27, 2013

From Halloween to Thanksgiving: An Update

There's no doubt that there's a lull after Halloween for people who enjoy costuming, especially Ghostbusters fans I would argue, but many of us see it as an opportunity to do something better next year.  Just as baseball general managers take this time of year to retool their teams, we retool our equipment.

Conveniently this is also a time of year when sellers clear out some overstock parts.  A few weeks ago I bought some aluminum knobs for my thrower at half price, along with a couple other cheap parts I needed.

This year I was fortunate enough to get third place in the Ghostbusters Fans Costume Photo Contest, with a lot of help from my Facebook friends.  I won (another) Mattel PKE Meter and a free supporting membership to gbfans.com, a $20 value I'd been putting off.  As a supporting member I'm allowed to post things for sale on the site's message board.  This will help me flip some items I don't need to fund my retooling efforts.  So far I've already sold some aluminum tubes that didn't fit my shell for $40, and this weekend I sold what was left of my MDF proton pack, except for the Aykroyd autograph, for $175.  So these items go to a new home, and I've got money burning a hole in my PayPal pocket.

The upgrades I want to add this time around are lights for my thrower, and sound for the thrower and pack, with the possibility of a major thrower overhaul.

I've already used some of that money to buy a thrower light kit and a monster 12v rechargeable battery pack, which will arrive in mid December.  Around that time  the gbfans shop will have the sound kit I want in stock and I'll grab one of those too.  And who knows what awesome deals I might find on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?  I ended up getting great deals for some aluminum pack parts last year.

The building will come later.  I want the parts to trickle in and accumulate before I start rebuilding anything.  It's a slow process, but it doesn't need to be fast.  Patience will pay off down the line.

I'll update things again when I've got something worth updating.

No comments:

Post a Comment