Before I get in depth with my current build, I thought it would be fun to look back and share with you how far things have come.
This picture is one of my favorites, but doesn't showcase the proton pack very well. Still, you can see how it was constructed out of black foamboard, along with other parts. That's me in front of the real Ecto-1 at the Ghostbusters video game release party in Dallas during the summer of 2009.
This picture gives you a better idea of how crude the build really was. This was after I had taken all of the useful parts off of this pack and transferred them over to my MDF pack. It sat like this in the garage for a long time before I put it on eBay before Halloween last year and made about $75-$100 off of it.
Until very recently this is how the second pack, made mostly out of MDF, sat in the corner of our bedroom. Most of the tubing, resistors, and other components were switched straight over from the first pack. I tried to upgrade it some each year, but it always had the same cake pan with holes cut out and washers glued on for the "cyclotron." The filter at the bottom of it with the red stripe and white dots is actually a chopped up Pringles can. I was fortunate enough to have it signed by Dan Aykroyd in Dallas some time ago. That was a great thrill for me. Again, many of the useful components have been taken off of this pack and will live on with the fiberglass shell that is on it's way. I may end up selling the MDF hull and a few parts still connected, but I will keep the cyclotron with the autograph and put it in a place of honor. It was the first part I ever built on my own, and as crude as it looks now I'm still proud of it, especially with Dan's signature on it.
Stay tuned for more pictures of what I have in store for the new pack. It's a giant leap forward in terms of accuracy to the films. Thanks again for looking!
-Matt


Can we have a picture of your older packs alongside a pic from the films? I would love to see how you slowly move closer and closer.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good idea. I might try to do that tonight or have it scheduled for the morning. Thanks for the feedback!
ReplyDelete