I was asked if I could compare my packs over the years side by side with a screen used pack to show how things had gotten better over time. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find many pictures of my first foamboard proton pack, other than the ones of it dismantled before it was sold on eBay. I can post some more detailed shots of my second attempt in relation to the real props, but I should explain something first.
There were differences between proton packs used in Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II. Also, there were very detailed packs, referred to as "Hero" packs, as well as "Stunt" packs, which were mostly made of foam, but pulled from the same mold as the fiberglass versions. Ghostbusters II had a middle version between Hero and Stunt called "Semi-Hero," which were fiberglass shells but with resin detail parts rather than aluminum. A careful eye can pick out the different packs pretty easily if one knows what to look for.
What this means is that since there were different items used for similar parts, or replacement parts in the case of some of the Ghostbusters II packs, the term "screen accurate" is broadened out a little bit. Some builders like to cherry pick different details depending on what they like, what parts are harder to come by, and what parts are more affordable. You'll see a bit of cherry picking on my upcoming pack, but I'm basing it loosely on a pack that is traced back to Harold Ramis in Ghostbusters II, which was a pack that was retrofitted from Ghostbusters. It sold at an auction last year, and a lot of detailed pictures were taken at the time that revealed some details that were new to the prop building community. There are also two packs on display at Sony HQ in LA, and some fans were allowed to take detailed photos and measurements of those as well. These packs are what those wishing to be screen accurate try to replicate, in most cases.
On to the pictures. Other than pictures of my own props, the photos came from GBFans.com. Please go to that site and the Equipment tab to see hundreds of more reference photos.
Here is a proton pack that was used in promotional photos for the first Ghostbusters movie (note that the picture was taken without anybody noticing the tubing had fallen out of the vac line):
Here is the pack that is on display at the Sony lobby:
This is the pack that was sold in the Profiles in History auction:
The OMNI pack is also a favorite for people to replicate since it was in the first movie and had the clean look rather than the weathered, beaten up look:
Finally, here's my pack. A lot of the details were close from the start since I used the right measurements. Much of my improvements will be because I'm using correct parts. I cut corners on some details, which shows in comparison to the real props.
-Matt





Thanks. Looks great! I am amazed at how close to the original your pack looks.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that. I'll take some side by side pictures during my build of the new one and v. 2.0, which will enhance some of the differences.
ReplyDelete